Tuesday, August 31, 2010

New Boston Ballet Dancers


Boston, MA 082510 New Boston Ballet dancers: Lasha Khozashuili (Cq) foreground/ gray sweats, Adiarys Almeida (cq) all in black, Kenna Kampa (Cq) all in white, and Joseph Gatti (cq) other male dancer with dark clothes on. They were photographed at one of the Ballet's studios on August 25, 2010. (Essdras M Suarez/ Globe Staff)/ MET Behind the Scenes: I love photographing dancers. To me they always look like beautiful sleek sports cars ready to take off. I was pretty happy when I got this assignment. I only had about 30 minutes with them and as soon as I saw their height differences I knew I was going to have to get creative fast; thus, the from below angle. TECH STUF: 4 Prophoto heads off a 1200 Prophoto Pack, there are three lights on stands to their left. The light furthest away from me had the biggest honeycomb grid in it since I wanted this one light to highlight at least two of the dancers. Then the other two heads, also with grids but smaller, one is pointing to the side of one of the dancer's face and the third one, the closest one to me, is pointed to the side of the principal dancer who is located the closest to me. The fourth light is on a baby boom with a large softbox coming from above and slightly from the left. This softbox is what created the "baseline" metadata for the image. ISO: 100, Speed 1/320th, Shutter 8.0. MORE ON TECHNIQUE: I think what makes these portraits work is the attention paid to keeping a clean background around each one of the subjects... hope you agree with me on this.

No comments: