Thursday, February 17, 2011

RED TAIL HAWK AND PIGEON


Dorchester, MA 021711 A red tail hawk enjoys the fruits of a successful hunt, a pigeon at a nearby perch in Dorchester. (Essdras M Suarez/ Globe Staff)/ MET BEHIND THE SCENES: Today while at the Boston Globe's office I was walking by a window and I was caught by surprise when I thought at first I was looking at huge snowflakes falling. I did a double, and after closer inspection I realized I was looking at feathers flying as a hawk tore into a pigeon it had just caught. I ran back to our pool-lens cabinet and got a massive telephoto lens. I watched this amazing spectacle for about 20 minutes as it ate everything, including legs, heart and innards. While looking through my viewfinder I couldn't help but to be amazed at the raw power of nature. It was a humbling experience to witness this through the intimacy of my viewfinder. TECH STUFF: DSLR with a 600mm 4.0 lens, ISO 500, speed 1/4000th- 1/5,000th of a second, aperutre 4.0-5.0, WB cloudy.

2 comments:

Mac said...

Essdras,

The juxtaposition between the hawk and "food and three flashes" is making me hiccup.

Love,
Mac

Matthew Bennett said...

Hi Essdras, glad you got to put these shots to use! I met you the day you took these, and feel that I learned a lot from you in the short period of time that we spoke. I hope to run into you again soon.

Best,
Matt