Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Manhunt for Jewelry Store burglars after shooting cop








Woburn, MA 090611 Woburn, MA officers and from other police departments organized a manhunt for several men who were at large. The men were allegedly involved in the shooting of a Woburn police officer - he was shot three times but is now in stable condition- during a botched jewelry heist. (Essdras M Suarez/ Globe Staff) BEHIND THE SCENES: I came into this story a good two and half hours after it broke. I have covered enough situations like this one to know that unless you are one of the first members of the media at the scene there is a very high likelihood you will be hanging around police barricades. This held truth once more today. I tried getting close to the area where the shooting occurred but by the time arrived, the police had a pretty tight perimeter of the surrounding area. So I decided the only thing I could do at this point was to make the best of where I was and to make good images of what was happening in front of me. I was lucky because the intersection I chose is a busy one and on the main road where much activity was happening. This included catching a glimpse of a police cruiser involved in the shooting where you could clearly see the grouping of five shot on the passenger side of the windshield. The man hunt continues. TECH STUFF: Two lenses 70-200 mm 2.8 with a 1.4 TC and a 500mm 4.0 (This is my preferred telephoto since I can hand hold it). Speeds: 1/800th - 1/200th of a second, ISO 640- 800. WB: Cloudy

No comments: