Thursday, December 8, 2011

Waiting for the Witching Hour at Occupy Boston










Boston, MA 120811 Occupy Boston protesters which have been occupying Dewey Square for over two months lost their last legal battle yesterday and were given eviction notice for today December 8 at the stroke of midnight. (Essdras M Suarez/ Globe Staff)/ MET BEHIND THE SCENES: I haven't covered the Occupy movement that much so the fact that I'm here tonite on their final "legal" night makes it a good night for photos. I'm sure there will be an update to this blog later on. TECH STUFF: 1 Nikon D3 and 1 March IV, a 70- 200mm 2.8 on the Nikon and my trusty 16-35mm 2.8 on the Canon. Tonite Im going to need as much range as I can from shooting. As is Ive been using ISOs from 3200 to 8,000 so far. Later on I will use my strobes and take down the ISOs. I havent used the flash yet (2145 hours) the cold tends to kill batteris fast, Im saving these for the action photos later no tonite ... LATER UPDATE: So the witching hour came and nothing happened. Protesters awaited expectantly but Boston Police Department never amassed with riot gear. BPD officers present just kept their distance. After a while the protester crowded around an adjacent street, Atlantic Boulevard, and eventually brought traffic to a stand still... at 1:00AM in the morning. The police just diverted traffic one block away and business as usual continued. I finally left around 1:30AM to file images and barely made it my newsprint deadline. The top photo where the protesters are starting to sit on the street was the cover of today's paper. TECH STUFF: Turned on my flash finally but the cold kept sapping batteries away which made it falter quite a bit. Thank you for the gods of technology which allow you to shoot at 12,800+ ISO. INTERESTING POINT: It always amazes me how people will put themselves in front of the cameras to be photographed so the world can see them but when you approach them for their name they tell you, "You don't need my name."

No comments: