Saturday, January 22, 2011

Fire & Ice


Boston, MA 012111 The wind blows snowflakes in between buildings on Forsyth St in Boston on a day that brought a myriad of weather conditions ranging from heavy snow, to light snow, flurries and then the sun finally breaking through. (Essdras M Suarez/ Globe Staff)/ MET BEHIND THE SCENE: Today was a tough day to document weather conditions in the city because of the extreme range of weather conditions in a short period of time. The early morning was heavy snow, then it tapered off and finally the sun broke through. So the question was: what would resonate with readers the following day when they look at photos of this day? I kept my eyes open for an image that would showcase this variety and I found it while walking to an assignment when I noticed how the sun would light from behind the falling snow crystals. It was then a matter of waiting for a human to come into my frame. (REMEMBER: People will react to other people in a frame, it gives the image a sense of familiarity and scale) I got a couple of people walking by and I thought that would be the shot but as I started walking away I noticed this guy actually going down the alley. I rushed back and barely had enough time for a couple of well-composed shots before he veered into one of the buildings. Notice how the about-to step frame epitomizes the quintessential decisive moment in the photo. TECH STUFF: ISO 640 @ 9.0- 1/320TH Of a second. AWB.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cool pic !