Saturday, January 15, 2011

Myopia 2011 Sled Dog Races








Hamilton, MA 011511 Myopia Sled Dog Races at Appleton Farms in Hamilton on January 15, 2011. (Essdras M Suarez/ Globe Staff)/ MET BEHIND THE SCENES: I had covered this event last year so I had an idea of sorts what to expect and where to be to get the best possible photos. The only problem is that I arrived there kind of early and walked about a third of the course (couple of miles) sometimes kneed deep in snow without snow shoes and without having brought water with me. By the time noon time came about I was wind burnt, thirsty and exhausted. To the point that I completely forgot to make a crowd shot. TECH STUFF: three cameras Nikon D3S, Nikon D3 and a Mark III. Lenses: 44- 70mm 2.8, 70- 200mm 2.8 with a 1.4 TC, and a 300mm 2.8 with a 1.4TC (now you can see why It was so tiring to walk around). ISO 100, apertures 4.0- 5.6. Remember when shooting in the snow to compensate for all that white. Also if shooting through dappled light, as in light filtering through the trees, you are better off with matrix metering and Aperture mode.

No comments: