Thursday, April 22, 2010

Natural Light with a Little bit of Help


Boston, MA 042210 Luigi "Big Lou" DeMarco (Cq), left, the general manager of Caffe Graffitti & Ristorante in the North End of Boston was photographed at the restaurant on April 22, 2010. This is for a story on sidewalk sitting at North End cafes. (Essdras M Suarez/ Globe Staff)/ BEHIND THE SCENES: This was one of those situations where the assignment was not very clear. It mentioned the owner and manager of this restaurant as possible subjects. I was asked to put them or either or within context of the area so the reader would know where the outdoor sitting would be. I walked in there and I immediately noticed how the natural light was amazing. It was bright outside but the quality of light foretold there were clouds coming so you could see changing light moving pretty fast. I shot w/o an artificial light and decided that was not good enough. So I set up a monolight to the right of the frame to side light the subject and voila. It was just a matter of waiting for the right scene in the background. TECHNICAL STUFF: Shot with a 16-35mm 2.8@ 16mm, ISO 50, speed 1/200th sec, aperture 5.6. I took a reading of the outside light and it was about 4.0@ 125. So I closed down my aperture and increased my speed to add full saturation and contrast to the subjects in the background while still balancing the inside light with the outside light. I think this worked pretty well. The gods of light were definitely smiling upon me with the beautiful light coming in from the outside. (the source of light you see on the right is my Bowen monolight, which I actually didn't mind having in my frame.)

No comments: