Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Slained MA State Trooper Walk By

Brockton, MA 062210 About 600 officers paid their respects to fallen comrade MA State Trooper Sgt. Douglas Weddleton at Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Brockton on June 22, 2010. Sgt Weddleton was a father of four and 27-year veteran of the state police who was killed this past weekend after he was struck by a vehicle after making a traffic stop. (Essdras M Suarez/ Globe Staff)/ MET BEHIND THE SCENES: I had been on vacation the previous week and was disconnected to daily news so it caught me by surprise that my first assignment coming back was such an important event. After reading some back issues of the paper I felt a little better about covering this assignment. All the officers and troopers assigned to detail of directing traffic and alike were extremely courteous to everyone. We, the media, were not allowed into the church but other than that we could get as close as we wanted as long as we did it in a respectful manner. EXTRA NOTE BEHIND THE SCENES: The young man and his father saluting is a good example of what I always tell my students: When you think you have a good photo in front of you, take the time to look behind just in case. TECHNICAL STUFF: As always I came prepared with two cameras but as luck has it one of these quit right after I got there. So I had to shoot the whole event with one camera and just kept switching lenses. I used my 24-70mm 2.8 and a 300 2.8. ISO went from 250 to 2000 as the day progressed. For the blurred images I set my camera on aperture 16 and dragged the shutter to about 1/8th of a second at 250 ISO.






No comments: