Friday, May 28, 2010

Multi-faith press conferenc in support of Muslims



Boston, MA 052810 Children entertain themselves as adults like Zainab Elmi (cq) left (with glasses and scarf) of Somerville, and Amenyonah Bossman (Cq) of Boston (eyes closed) listened during a press conference on May 28, 2010 at the Islamic Society of Boston Cultural Center mosque in Roxbury. Among the crowd were several hundred Muslims and a cadre of multi-faith religious leaders whom had gathered in order to show their support for the Muslim community and to denounce comments by Massachusetts State Treasurer and Independent candidate for Governor Tim Cahill. The group accused of allegedly making "bigoted" statements after Gov. Deval Patrick met with members of the Muslim community. (Essdras M Suarez/ Globe Staff)/ MET BEHIND THE SCENES: The caption pretty much tells the story of the assignment. The only point worth making is that I was among the very last journalists who stayed until the end. I had already gotten the standard images of the different religious leaders talking on the microphone but I kept circling the scene looking for more of a human angle. That is when I found these man by the fence displaying almost identica lbody language. BTW, I was only able to make one frame of this scene before the man on the right moved away. TECH STUFF: This by far has been one of the worst technical situations I have had to shoot lately. Mid-day sun and every possible combination of colored garments and extreme tones of skin color. The camera kept giving me strange readings which I kept over-riding by putting the camera on Manual Mode. ISO 200, lenses 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8. Speed varied from 320th of a second all the way to 2,000th of a second depending on how much depth of field I needed. WB set at Cloudy. The extreme ranges of the exposure made me feel as if these images needed to be converted into B & W.

No comments: