Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Boston 20thousand Flags




Boston, MA 05/31/2010 All day long during Memorial Day May 31, 2010 people stopped by the Boston Common to photograph or simply catch a glimpse of the twenty thousand flags, each one representing the life of a fallen Massachussetts soldier. The boots and dog tags belonged to Alexander Arrendondo, 20 years old, who was killed in An Najaf, Iraq during his second tour of duty in Operation Iraqi Freedom. This soldier was the son of Carlos Arredondo who try to immolate himself in a Marine van after they delivered the news of hi son's death. The story gained national notoriety back in 2004 when TV crews captured the smoking van and broadcast it nationally. BEHIND THE SCENES: I did this on my own, kind of gave myself the assignment, since I thought it was a story worth telling and sharing. I didn't have enough time to stick around long enough to capture emotion so I focused on the visual aspect of the event. TECH STUFF: ISO 200, lenses 70-200 2.8, 24-70 2.8. Speeds 12th- 200th of a second. WB cloudy. (Essdras M Suarez/ EMS Photography)

No comments: