Friday, July 23, 2010

CULINARY DELICACY PHOTO DAY





Boston, MA 072310 A gazpacho dish from Post 390 on Stuart St in Boston; Beso del Diablo and Mojito Carteluo cocktails from Orinoco in Brookline. And Summer Melons and monkfish and shrimp sausage dishes from Rocca at Boston’s South End. (Essdras M Suarez/ Boston Globe)/ G
BEHIND THE SCENES: There are days the Globe editors simply set a photographer aside to shoot food all day. On this day I had to photograph a total of 8 dishes and two cocktails. These are all from three different eateries all located in the Boston Metro area. TECHNICAL STUFF: Surprisingly enough all were shot with the same set up. Two off camera strobes hooked to Pocket Wizards which were set off by the transmitter on my camera. Speed was usually kept at the max-synch speed of my camera :1/320th of a second in order to make the background go dark. Lens: 100 macro 2.8. D.O.F.: 2.8- 4.0. WB: Strobe. OTHER TECH STUFF: I have a tendency to start by always setting one light behind and another light in the front. So basically at about 11 and 5 or 2 and 7 if you were looking at a clock face. If I think the lights are too even I usually increase the power of the strobe in the back. From there I keep tweaking their heights, distance and angles until I’m satisfied with the resulting image.

No comments: