Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Listening to Light


Boston, MA 072710 Berklee College of Music students hang out at the common area in Commonwealth Ave on July 27, 2010 as some picked at a guitar and others enjoyed the sweet aroma of a hookah. (Essdras M Suarez/ Globe Staff)G BEHIND THE SCENES: I'm under strict instructions to find a feature per shift so I'm always on the lookout for something out of the ordinary. In this case I was driving down Commonwealth Ave and I first noticed how this one shaft of light was hitting this group of people. This is what I called "listening to the light" where the light makes itself noticeable by its quality and then you start paying more close attention to what is going on. I try to always "listen" to the light around me. As I approached the group, I immediately was taken by how the light hit the one guy with the guitar. Then as I circled around I noticed there was also a picture to be made just by looking from the other direction. (REMEMBER ALWAYS TAKE THE TO CIRCLE YOUR SUBJECT) TECH STUFF: Lens 24-70mm 2.8, Aperture: 2.8 on the horizontal/ 22 on the vertical, ISO 320 on horizontal/ 1000 on the vertical. Speed 1/800th of a second for the horizontal/ 1/60th of a second for the vertical. MORE TECH: When I looked at the light coming off the reflection off the windows I realized two things: first, I needed to overexposed my foreground in order to capture enough meta data in the image which in turn would give me over exposed beams of light; second, I also knew I could use these beams of light to my advantage by creating a "starburst" effect. The latter can be accomplished by stopping down your lens to 16, 22, 32... etc. It is the optical aberration of the rays of light filtering through the blades in the iris of the lens which creates the "starburst" look.

No comments: