Saturday, July 3, 2010

Ghost Box Orchestra


Watertown, MA 070310 Members of the band Ghost Box orchestra: Chris Johnson (cq) tall with glasses dk clothes, Martin Rex (Cq) black T-shirt and tall, Nazli Green (cq), Jeremy Lassetter (Cq) cowboy look long hair all in black, and Dennis Noble (cq) plaid shirt glasses, were photographed on July 3, 2010 in Watertown,MA (Essdras M Suarez/ Globe Staff)/ G BEHIND THE SCENES: The original assignment said to meet the band at at the entrance of a local cemetery. I gave them a call and after chatting with them for a little we realized that shooting in a cemetery might not be the best idea due to legal issues with trespassing and alike. So I came up with this alternative location near my place in Watertown. The band was ecstatic and said it reminded them of the series "Lost." I was pretty happy with the outcome myself. TECHNICAL STUFF: Images were shot late morning but artificial Norman 400 heads were used to light the scene. By using artificial lights I was able to add drama to the scene by underexposing about three stops below the ambient light reading. For the outside I used two lights, one from either side and the one on the left mostly working as a highlight. For the inside shot I only used one light because we barely could fit all of us in this space. The light here was pretty much above my camera which I knew would give me the gritty contrasty look of straight on camera but I also knew that the space and my subjects could handle such harsh light. Aperture 16, speed about 250/ 100, ISO was 100. Equipment: 24-70mm 2.8, Nikon D-3. EXTRA TECH: I used a Pocket Wizard to set off one light and a long PC chord to set off the other one since at the last minute one of my battery packs decided not communicate with the transceiver despite the fact I had checked my lights and remotes about one hour prior to the shoot. (IMPORTANT: Always have back up systems ready when using lights because something Can and WWill Always Fail.)

No comments: